About the job
Everyone on our Research & Innovation team shares a passion for innovation, new process, new formulations, new packaging and new ways of thinking. By joining this team, you will use your scientific and technologic expertise to bring health through food, meet the needs of consumers and nurture growth in the business. We are currently looking to hire a Food Scientist II based in Louisville, CO! The Food Scientist II is responsible for collaborating with Brand Marketing to design winning dairy yogurts based on consumer and market understanding. The scientist is also tasked with ideation, designing the product & process, preparing for factory scale-up with your manager, and preparing for post-launch follow up. The role encompasses supporting and/or leading product development programs across innovation, renovation and productivity. This position involves strong interactions with internal cross functional teams and external suppliers, hands on bench and analytical work, pilot plant work, managing formula cost and specifications (ingredients and product & process), conducting, and coordinating industrial tests in plants, and assisting in the industrial scale-up. The candidate must be able to represent R&I interests within the company during all projects and cross-functional interactions.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Manage a diverse project portfolio according to stage gate methodology through adherence to project timeline, meeting project milestones, while delivering and following up on R&I project tasks.
- Act as the R&I driver on product attributes definition vs consumer expectations as well as technical solutions within each program team, develop formulations and processes to deliver on consumer expectations, within project food safety, costs, and timing requirements
- Design and lead pilot trials, support industrial trials, create analytical reports, organize tasting sessions with R&I, Marketing, and draw conclusions and recommendations for next steps.
- Analyze statistical and technical data while identifying trends that translates to the development of the product and the specification.
- Independently manage medium complexity projects according to stage gate needs. Indirectly mentor Junior product developers and colleagues
- Collaborate with suppliers to obtain best results for product development (brief suppliers, follow up on their progress, provide feedback, order materials for industrial trials)
- Collaborate with internal partners and external suppliers to troubleshoot product development hurdles and to identify new approaches and technologies
- Participate in consumer test design, organize sample production and ensure product quality follow up.
- Realize scale up / industrialization with Engineering and Manufacturing department, other cross functional teams to enable launch readiness.
- Participate as an R&I representative for product launch/start up by preparing all specifications, certifications related to product line (except packaging) and ensure that all documentation needed is available prior to start up.
The base compensation range for this position is $80,000-100,000 commensurate with experience. Danone North America additionally offers a performance-based bonus and has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Drug Coverage, 401k Plan, Wellness Program, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible Time Off, and Paid Parental Bonding Leave, among other benefit plan options. To give our employees flexibility, Danone is a hybrid work environment.
- 4-6 years’ experience with Bachelor’s degree or 2-4 years’ experience with Master’s Degree) in Dairy or Food and Beverage product development or closely related field
- Technical understanding on product formulation, industrial processes and manufacturing practices, preferred knowledge and experience working on dairy and/or fermented products.
- Flexibility to travel (35%)
- Strong project management/organization and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and able to train staff.
- Proficient in product development systems and general computer skills
- Comfortable and passionate about creating, rapid prototyping, development, and commercialization of ideas under tight timelines.
At Danone North America, you’ll work with some of the best-known food and beverage brands in the world like Activia, Silk, Horizon Organic, Two Good, Oikos, evian, and Happy Family. You’ll be part of one of the largest Certified B Corps™ in the world, working together to make sure our brands create real benefits for people, communities, and the planet. We have 6,000+ employees across the U.S. and Canada. Come join our movement for a healthier world: One Planet. One Health BY YOU.
Danone North America doesn’t just welcome what makes you unique, we value it. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All hires to our team are based on qualifications, merit and business needs. We recruit, employ, train and promote regardless of race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic characteristic or any other protected status. Faithful to our values of openness and humanism, all of our employees share in the commitment to engage one another with dignity and respect.